2020 Perth SuperSprint dumped!

Views : 201 views


Posted on August 31, 2020 Tags:




RAAF Hawk jet flyover at 2019 Perth SuperSprint


VIRGIN AUSTRALIA SUPERCARS has unceremoniously dumped the Perth SuperSprint from its 2020 calendar, as COVID-19 strikes yet again. Supercars announced today the 60th edition of its Championship would now finish at its showpiece event, the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.


Bathurst was confirmed as the final on this year’s reworked schedule  – with a new date of October 18, one week later than previously announced.


There was no mention of the demise of the Perth event for this year. And while there was no great surprise in the announcement, as each day passed it seemed more of an inevitability Perth would no longer be in the mix.


Nevertheless it will come as a crushing disappointment to the many thousands of fans who look forward to the biggest annual motorsport event in Western Australia.

However the WA Sporting Car Club, custodians of Wanneroo Raceway – WA’s premier motorsports facility – is philosophical.

WA the first to launch back into Motorsport


wanneroo-raceway-Perth-supersprint
WANNEROO RACEWAY

“It’s a terrible shame to miss out on a Supercars round this year, it’s always a fantastic event and we’ll miss it.

“However WA has enjoyed more motorsport this year than any other state in Australia.

“While we felt the impact of COVID-19, WA was the first state able to launch back into motorsport.

“Other states remain either very restricted or completely unable to conduct even small club events, so in some ways if Supercars is the only WA motorsport casualty, we’re kind of fortunate.

“We can dwell on the past and what’s been lost, I think we’ll be better off looking forward to 2021.”

PETER DYBALL, WASCC Competition and Events Committee Chairperson. 

It should be a great year

wa-sporting-car-club-logo

WASCC is in the process of drafting its 2021 calendar, putting extra effort into encouraging participation, getting members and competitors who may have taken a break back on the track.

We’re also aiming to provide pathways and activities for people who may be interested in motorsport but haven’t yet taken the first steps to become involved,” Peter Dyball said.


Supercars CEO Sean Seamer:

“We looked at all options beyond Bathurst as well as the best options for our Victorian teams, who will have been on the road for over 100 days by the completion of the event.

“Getting those drivers, team personnel and officials’ home to loved ones was at the forefront of this decision.

“The October 18 date change was made to allow all teams adequate time to prepare for the biggest event of the year.”

SEAN SEAMER

  “This is our marquee event on the calendar and this year it will also be our series decider, making it an even more memorable occasion,” he said.


 Double Header at The Bend in September – with FANS


Meanwhile two events have been announced for Tailem Bend – to be run on back-to-back weekends: two SuperSprints on September 19-20 and on September 26-27.

The Bend SuperSprint events will permit fans to each day of racing, with details to be released in coming days.


 EDITED by AC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US

© 2019-2020 adrianchambersmotorsports.com.au All rights reserved.